Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jake Shields plans on ‘dethroning’ Georges St. Pierre's title reign

By Mike Johnston
@MikeyJ_MMA
UFC 129 is shaping up to be perhaps the most memorable event in Ultimate Fighting Championship history, headlined by a welterweight title fight between Georges St. Pierre and Jake Shields. Still, people can’t help but talk about what will come next for St. Pierre. After Anderson Silva defeated Vitor Belfort at UFC 126, UFC President Dana White said that if GSP gets by Shields the UFC would set up an historic super fight with Silva for the middleweight title. This has fans and pundits drooling in anticipation. However, one person not looking past Shields at a potential matchup with Silva is St. Pierre himself. In fact, the thought of the middleweight champ doesn’t even enter the Canadian’s mind.
“I don’t even think about [fighting Silva] right now,” said St. Pierre at a press conference at Toronto’s Rogers Centre. “I never thought about it; I always live in the present moment, and my biggest problem is Jake Shields. It would be foolish for me to look past Jake Shields. He poses the biggest threat to my title. He’s a very well-rounded fighter.”

Shields is of the same opinion as St. Pierre in that regard; it would be a mistake to underestimate him. Shields said he understands why people would be excited for that super fight, but he has other plans. “They’ve both been so dominant in the UFC the last few years that people are talking about it,” Shields said at the press conference. “I think it’s a big mistake to overlook me because I plan on coming out and spoiling that fight.”
Most fans and the betting lines, though, are dismissing Shields as a serious threat to GSP. In Las Vegas, he opened up as a near 6-1 underdog. Shields, however, is accustomed to playing spoiler when the odds are stacked against him.
“I love this role – it’s exactly the same thing as the [Dan] Henderson fight,” said Shields. “It’s exactly what I’m planning on doing here. Everyone is talking GSP this and GSP that – and I do think he’s a phenomenal fighter and deserves all this – but I plan on going out there and dethroning his title run.”
Shields is currently on one of the hottest streaks in MMA, winning 15 fights in a row. During that streak he has amassed wins over the likes of Dan Henderson, Yushin Okami, Carlos Condit, Martin Kampmann, Paul Daley, Mike Pyle, Robbie Lawler and Jason Miller.
St. Pierre said he knows what Shields has done in the past and looks forward to the challenge. “The UFC brought him in and I’m glad they did because he’s the number one [contender] for the welterweight title. As a champion, I’m a proud champion, I want to fight the best guy and I’m going to fight Jake Shields and I’m happy to do so.”
UFC 129 takes place on April 30 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. Tickets go on sale to the public on February 12. For more info and updates follow @MikeyJ_MMA on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment