Tuesday, November 16, 2010

UFC veteran Jonathan Goulet announces his retirement from MMA

By Mike Johnston

Canadian mixed martial arts veteran, Jonathan “The Road Warrior” Goulet, has officially announced his retirement from the sport after being knocked out in three of his last four fights.

On November 13, Goulet was knocked out by Ontario’s Chris Clements in the second round of their Ringside MMA welterweight title match. After the fight Goulet posted a message to his fans on Twitter, which, translated from French to English, read: “Unfortunately, I lost my fight. Personally, I think this is it for me. I won't make a rash decision, but my decision is made. I will sleep on it and will give you news on Monday.”

Well, the 31-year-old Quebec native decided it was time after all, and officially announced his retirement on Facebook. Goulet wrote: “I slept on what I was thinking about yesterday and I've decided to hang up my gloves! I believe that's enough for me. It's time that I start something else. Thank you to everyone, it was an incredible career and you were the best fans in the world.”

Goulet finishes his career with a record of 23 wins, 12 losses, and one no contest. His best days came when he fought in the now-defunct Canadian promotion, TKO, where he amassed wins over quality Canadians Jeff Joslin, Travis Galbraith, Jesse Bongfeldt and John Alessio, as well as MMA vets Shonie Carter and Tony Fryklund. To go along with his TKO days, Goulet fought for the UFC nine times going 4-5. His career highlight was a UFC 83 win in Montreal when he knocked out Kuniyoshi Hironaka in a “Fight of the Night” performance.

Goulet also had this to say to his fans regarding his announcement: “It is because of people like you that I still enjoy doing that sport. I am really not satisfied with the result of my last fight. I have been sad yes, but mainly mad. My mma fighter career is unfortunately a roller coaster, I often have ups and downs. It’s sad, but not the end of the world. At fort Bragg, I’ve seen people you had lost arms and legs for their country. They would have given all they had to only get half what I have.

There are also people who lost their relatives in a tsunami, a hurricane or earthquake. So for those who think I’m gonna stop after a lost, they are dead wrong. I have known that situation before, I’ll rise again and come back stronger.

I’ve always said that my life is like a book. For me failing doesn’t mean the end of my book but only a chapter. So it’s simple, recently I’ve begun a new chapter. My thirst for victory is still there, I love life and I want to live it at the fullest.

My friends, my family, my darling that I love so much and my daughter support me like you all. The greatest surprise I found out when I came back home is all the encouragement messages you left me here on facebook. It really cheered me up.”

For more info on “The Road Warrior” visit his website jonathangoulet.com. For more MMA news and Notes follow me on Twitter @MikeyJ_MMA.

1 comment:

  1. Guess someone finally shattered his glass chin

    ReplyDelete