Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Battle of Canada: Why Mark Hominick wants to Make a Statement at WEC: 49 in Edmonton


By Elton "Hobbie" Hobson


When he first heard the news that the WEC were planning on coming to Edmonton, Mark Hominick knew a phone call was probably in his near future.

“I figured [that] when they announced they were coming to Canada, that Chris [Horodecki] and I would probably be on the card.” Hominick tells me in what could almost be a boast, if it wasn’t also a statement of bald facts. Fighting out of London, Ontario, both men are two of the biggest Canadian names on the WEC roster. There was a pretty good chance of their being asked to fight in the WEC’s Canadian debut.

Still, if a spot on the card was guaranteed, winning isn’t. For Hominick, the stakes are high, indeed. In the co-main event of the evening, he takes on fellow Canadian veteran Yves Jabouin in a “Battle of Canada” that could have big repercussions for the WEC’s 145 lb. division.

“I’m just really, really happy to be on this card, to be where I’m at right now. I know what a big opportunity this is for me.”

Three days out from his fight, and Hominick is in Edmonton, working through the grind of fight week and preparing for the biggest fight of his career. If he sounds calm, it is a calm born of confidence. For this fight, Hominick has put in the most gruelling and committed training camp of his eight year career, spanning ten weeks in two different countries.

“I spent the first half of camp up in Canada, at Adrenaline MMA working with guys like [boxing coach] Fitz Vanderpool, and all my training partners up there like Clint Kingsbury, Sam Stout, and Chris Horodecki.” Hominick explains. But that was only the first five weeks.

“After that, I spent the rest of the camp down in Las Vegas at the TapouT Training Center with Shawn Thompkins. I think physically, it was the strongest camp I’ve ever had. And also mentally, as well.”

Hominick and Thompkins go way back, and the noted Canadian kickboxing and MMA coach has been Hominick’s head trainer for his entire professional career. Five weeks of gruelling training under Thompkins and with the big names that frequent the Las Vegas gym is just what Hominick needed to fine tune “The Machine”.

As to how he sees his fight with Jabouin going down, it can probably be summed up in two words - don’t blink.

“We’re both going in there with striking being our predominant strengths. I don’t either of us plan on taking the fight to the ground. I think this fight will be decided standing up and I think that’s where I can win it.“

The Montreal based Jabouin comes from a kickboxing background, but rounds out his skillset under Firas Zahabi at the famous Tristar gym. A nine year veteran of the sport, he is a threat anywhere with a record on the Canadian MMA scene as impressive as Hominick’s.

Still, Hominick has a well earned reputation for his versatility - and he always brings a Plan B.

“Anywhere the fight goes, I can go with it. I feel like I have an advantage on the feet but if he starts putting it on you have to change gears and try something else. That’s the name of the game. That’s MMA.”

That kind of attitude best sums up “The Machine’s” versatile and well rounded skillset. A polished kick boxer with good power for a featherweight, Hominick also brings a solid ground game and a proven ability to finish fights on the ground. He has seven (T)KO’s and seven Submissions of fourteen career stoppage victories.

Simply put, Hominick is the complete threat.

“I’ve always tried to improve every part of my game, every hole that I have in my game from camp to camp. I’m not one of those fighters that takes a lot of time off between camps. I’m always working on my wrestling, my jiu-jitsu, and my boxing. I’m not a new player in this game and I feel like the last nine years have been a learning process to get me to where I am.”

With a win in Edmonton, talk will naturally turn to where this places the winner in the WEC featherweight title picture, a picture dominated by divisional giant Jose Aldo. Hominick certainly has the skills to test the Brazilian, but if he wants a shot, he’ll have to earn one. For now, there is only the battle with Jabouin, and the chance to show the Edmonton fans what he can do.

“I’m just glad for the opportunity, to be in the co-main event. I know there’s going to be a lot of eyes on this fight, so it’s all I’m focusing on. I’ll sit down and think about who I want to face next on Monday morning after I’ve won.”

No comments:

Post a Comment