Thursday, June 24, 2010

WEC star Jamie Varner loves Canada


After his main event fight with Kamal Shalorus at WEC 49 in Edmonton, Jamie Varner was limping severely due to groin shots and a broken foot, sporting a cast on his broken right hand, and his face was covered in bruises. Yet, none of that stopped the former WEC lightweight champ from addressing the media and thanking the Canadian fans at the post-fight press conference.
WEC General Manager Reed Harris said that speaks to the type of character Varner has. “Let me just say that Jamie was in a war. He’s obviously injured and yet he insisted on being at the press conference, and so that just shows you what kind of guy he is,” said Harris.
Despite being a fighter that has shown abundant heart and determination throughout his career, he is often booed in his fights since he is somewhat outspoken and that doesn’t sit well with every fan. However, the crowd at Rexall Place embraced Varner, cheering his name and applauding his courage.
“I love Canada, what can I say. The Canadian fans are so awesome, they’re not fickle,” said Varner. “It seems like you guys are more understanding out here. And, I don’t know if it’s in the States because we’ve got all of our crazy sports, and you know we see people with the outbursts and they’re looked at as like martyrs. But, out here you guys seem to be understanding. I don’t know if it’s hockey, you know, tempers fly, people get into hockey fights yet you cheer them when they get into fights.”
Varner’s fight with Shalorus ended in a controversial split draw, a rare occurrence in MMA, as the judges scored the bout 29-7 Shalorus, 29-27 Varner, and 28-28. Varner believes he won, as did the vast majority who watched the fight, but nevertheless was happy he could put on a show for his Canadian fans.
“Here, you guys came and you got to see a good fight. No matter what, every time I fight I put on a good show. I don’t go for the takedown, I don’t go for the easy way out, I try to put on a good show for you guys,” said Varner.
The Arizona native said he was overwhelmed with the support he received while north of the border. “I appreciate all the fans. I’ve gotten a great reception and when I was out here for the PR tour, when I went to West Edmonton Mall, just hanging out, the people here are just so friendly and kind,” said Varner.
In addition to being grateful for his fans, he said he feels blessed to be with an organization like World Extreme Cagefighting. “I feel really lucky to be a part of this,” said Varner. “I mean to have [WEC 49] with these studs on it, following that huge pay-per-view that the WEC had, I felt like we lived up to the hype. [The card had] some of the toughest guys that maybe aren’t the most well known, but yet they came down here and let it all hang out.”
Varner even gave props to one of Ontario’s best young fighters. “I mean, the guy that fought Chris Horodecki on a couple days notice (Danny Downes), dude that guy needs to be applauded because Chris is a tough, tough dude,” Varner said. “I’ve had my eyes on him for a couple years and the fact that guy took the fight on that short notice, I don’t think I would have done that.“
Varner went on to compliment all fighters that took part in WEC 49 including Horodecki, Mark Hominick, Yves Jabouin, Josh Grispi, Eddie Wineland and others, saying, “these are all studs man and I feel very fortunate to be fighting with these guys in the WEC.”
For more information on World Extreme Cagefighting visit wec.tv.
For more of Mike Johnston's work visit his Toronto MMA Examiner column.

No comments:

Post a Comment