Monday, December 6, 2010

Georges St. Pierre prepared and motivated for title defense against Josh Koscheck at UFC 124

By MIKE JOHNSTON

The training and trash talking is over for both Georges St. Pierre and Josh Koscheck as they prepare for their UFC Welterweight Championship bout at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec on December 11.

After coaching opposite one another on Season 12 of The Ultimate Fighter reality show, Koscheck and GSP have focused on preparation for Saturday’s tilt and both believe they will walk out of the octagon as champion. The two combatants participated in a media conference call Monday and St. Pierre believes the trash talking Koscheck did while filming the show pushed the French-Canadian to work harder in the gym.

“The fact that Josh was very arrogant with me [motivated me in training],” said St. Pierre. “I’m the best Georges St. Pierre I’ve ever been. I can’t wait to show it to the public.”

UFC 124 will be the second time these two have locked horns. Back at UFC 74 GSP defeated Koscheck by unanimous decision in a tightly contested bout. However, both men say the rematch will go differently. GSP said: “I think it’s a different fight with two different fighters.”

Koscheck said he underestimated GSP’s ability to mix in his wrestling in the first fight, and, at the time, Koscheck wasn’t focused on become a well-rounded fighter. The American feels prepared this time around. “I think you’re going to see the best Josh Koscheck in a long time,” said the UFC’s current number one bad boy. “I’m always motivated to train and I love to fight.”

St. Pierre added that Koscheck is the best possible stylistic matchup for him. “There are three things that I'm very good at: fighting guys that trash talk, guys with a strong wrestling base and especially rematches, because I'm very good at adapting myself to any kind fighting style,” said St. Pierre. “That's my specialty, and Josh has the three components. He trash talked a lot, he has a strong wrestling background with good standup, but mainly a strong wrestling background. And it’s a rematch, so it's the best matchup for me and I can't wait. I'm very excited.”

In preparation for this fight, St. Pierre has trained with boxing legend Freddy Roach in the hopes his improved standup can lead to an exciting finish. “The way I was punching, a lot of stuff I was doing was wrong, and Freddy corrected it," said St. Pierre. “In the first fight with Josh, when I was striking, it was mostly to set up takedowns, but this time it will be also to knock him out.”

Roach has said he believes GSP will knock Koscheck out, but that doesn’t have the American Kickboxing Academy product worried. “Working with Freddy Roach is good and all, but Freddy can’t train [Georges’] chin and that’s where I’m going to hit him and knock him out,” Koscheck retorted. “And also my mom predicts a second round knockout,” Koscheck added with a laugh.

UFC 124 is available to order on pay-per-view on Saturday December 11 starting at 10 p.m. EST. The card features seven Canadian fighters. For more information visit ufc.com. For more MMA news and notes follow me on Twitter @MikeyJ_MMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment