Thursday, July 1, 2010

Brock Lesnar takes on Shane Carwin in the biggest heavyweight fight in UFC history

By MIKE JOHNSTON

Both figuratively and literally, it is the biggest fight in the history of the UFC’s heavyweight division. When Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar enter the octagon at UFC 116, assuming the cage doesn’t collapse, a new era will be born in mixed martial arts.

This fight also marks the first time in roughly six years that the consensus number one heavyweight in the world will be someone other than Fedor Emelianenko. And considering the size and skill of both Lesnar and Carwin, the winner may stay atop the division for years to come. The fight is so big, in fact, that Spike TV is choosing to air the weigh-ins live Friday at 7 p.m. ET, something the organization hasn’t done in years.

When these two mammoths engage in fisticuffs, it will be the first time either man has faced someone that matches their individual size and strength. Both walk around at over 280lbs and cut weight to make the 265lb limit. If Dan Mirgliotta had been refereeing the bout, the octagon might well have needed to be reinforced with titanium.

Both men are extremely confident in their abilities leading up to the fight. “Anywhere this fight goes, it’s going to be exciting,” said Lesnar. “Both of us have lots of power and explosiveness. But I’ve shown a lot of great stuff in a short time. I feel like I’m getting better. Come July 3rd, I’ll prove that.”

Carwin says he will enjoy the challenge, and believes he will come out the victor. “If I touch anybody with my hands, I can knock them out,” said Carwin. “Both of us being wrestlers, it will be interesting when we get in there. With four-ounce gloves on, your margin of error has to be small.”

This fight was originally set to take place at UFC 106, but Lesnar had to pull out due to his well-documented illness, diverticulitis, that put his career and life in jeopardy. However, Lesnar miraculously recovered and says he has been training since early January.

“I think the setback for me has actually been a good thing,” said Lesnar. “It has allowed me to focus on my diet and things. I brought in a new strength and conditioning coach and boxing coach. I took a new approach to everything.”

A fitter, more evolved Lesnar would be a scary thought to most fighters, but the 12-0 Carwin is not intimidated in the slightest. “Brock’s a big, talented, athletic heavyweight and that’s rare to find. That’s why this is going to be a great fight,” said Carwin. “When two big athletic heavyweights fight, I can’t wait for July 3rd. I’ve got that never quit attitude. I love to fight. I’m not looking to eek out decisions. I get in there and fight.”

Carwin trains at the acclaimed Greg Jackson gym and believes training with smaller, quicker fighters including Rashad Evans, Nate Marquardt and Jon Jones will give him an edge. “When you go with the smaller guys, they bring speed and footwork and you try to match that as a heavyweight,” said Carwin. “I just rely on my team. I train with a bunch of great athletes and coaches. And that’s just the way it is.”

Lesnar, on the other hand, continued to train with a group of large heavyweights to prepare for Carwin’s size. “My camp is filled with big guys. Cole Conrad, Jon Madsen, Chris Tuchscherer. Shane’s a little better looking than I am. So, I’ll give him that, but that’s about it.”

In an attempt to improve his game, Lesnar also brought in Randy Couture, the man he defeated to become heavyweight champion. “Randy is the godfather of the sport. Randy’s a once in a lifetime kind of guy. 45 years old and still fighting. Very impressed with Randy and how he trains,” said Lesnar. “He’s a grinder. He taught me a lot if great things. He’s not the biggest guy, but he fights very smart. When Randy Couture comes into your gym, you have to raise the intensity. He’s a very humble guy and a very helpful guy. At the end of the day, we compliment each other, we grade each other. The biggest compliment is honesty. I know what I’m good at, tell me what I’m bad at.”

Carwin is excited about the prospect of facing the best Brock Lesnar the world has seen and says that’s what motivates him. “Every fight is your biggest fight and this is definitely the biggest fight if my career,” said Carwin. “I’m happy that the UFC was able to put this together again.”

Meanwhile Lesnar has learned a lot from his illness, but that hasn’t taken away from his confidence. “I’m very humble that I’ve been given a second chance,” said Lesnar. “If I have any ring rust, I’ll be crying shame. I’ve got no nerves, no jitters coming into this fight. I can beat anybody.”

UFC 116 airs live in Canada July 3rd at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view. It is a matchup Canadian fans have been looking forward to for nearly a full year. Two preliminary fights can be seen in Canada starting at 9 p.m. on Spike TV.

1 comment:

  1. i want to ask lesnar what do you thing about james the light up hes a boxer & hes fighting the champ coutura but he wants you frist what do you thing about this champ if you ask me james is fast boxer & now hes training with some people that they are pros he get one of the best in the martail arts & his master in jiu jitsu abbas the dragon he has 30 years of martial arts exrer so i would like to hear from lesnar or randy thanks good luck mike??

    ReplyDelete