Saturday, March 27, 2010

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with BAS RUTTEN and CHEIK KONGO manager DON CLOVIS

Every day when doing my job I meet new people, whether it be online, or it be in person.  There are alot of different people that I have contacted, but even more that have contacted me.  On Sunday the 21st of March 2010, when I got home from an Amazing trip from Montreal to see W1-BAD BLOOD, I received an email from another new contact.  This person was from Amsterdam in the Netherlands, so I thought I should check him out to see why he was interested in Canadian MMA.  This man was manager of such superstars as BAS RUTTEN, SEMMY SCHILT AND CHEIK KONGO among others.  He also was part of starting such organizations as K1, Pancrase, Rings and more amazing prize-fighting organizations,among many other things. I thought with such an interesting background I should get the opportunity for our viewers to get to know this man behind the scenes of such MMA greatness, his name is DON CLOVIS check out his exclusive interview with Canadianprofiighter through SKYPE.

[8:53:07 AM] canadianprofighter: Hi Don,


[8:53:16 AM] DON CLOVIS: hi Jason

[8:53:38 AM] canadianprofighter: Welcome to Canadianprofighter.com, How is the weather in Amsterdam?

[8:54:01 AM] DON CLOVIS: today sunny, very well, about 17 degrees, so good so far

[8:54:30 AM] canadianprofighter: Sounds beautiful, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

[8:54:56 AM] DON CLOVIS: wow, that will be very long, can write a book about it ..he

[8:55:32 AM] DON CLOVIS: I'm born in Lievin, small town about 1 hour from Paris France in December 15th 1946

[8:55:51 AM] canadianprofighter: and now you reside in Amsterdam?

[8:56:17 AM] DON CLOVIS: yes, I have resided in Amsterdam for 41 years now

[8:57:00 AM] DON CLOVIS: after (In France, I had a been rock'n'roll singer, I came to Amsterdam from music business in Amsterdam

[8:57:45 AM] DON CLOVIS: there I set up Records Company, and from a friend I came in contact with martial arts, around 1975 in Amsterdam

[8:59:04 AM] canadianprofighter: Very busy in the entertainment industry then. You had contacted Canadianprofighter.com for news and info’s, what is your interest in Canadian MMA and how does it differ from European or Japanese MMA?

[9:00:23 AM] DON CLOVIS: In fact I was curious at the beginning, because I didn't know that Canada was very much involved with MMA, martial arts , so much , I thought that only USA, was involved so much

[9:01:28 AM] DON CLOVIS: than, through facebook, I discover CANADIAN PROFIGHTER, and read the info’s, and I like it,,..So, I contact CPF by e-mail, to receive your newsletters etc...

[9:01:32 AM] DON CLOVIS: WHY ???

[9:02:42 AM] DON CLOVIS: Because I'm very busy, I'm focus right now in Canada a lot, in the 80's I came in Canada, visited some Music friends and since that time one of my big dream was always to try to do something in Canada

[9:03:00 AM] DON CLOVIS: the peoples, are very friendly, and Canada very beautiful

[9:03:40 AM] DON CLOVIS: I been in contact 2 months ago, with Mr., ALBERT MADY, who is a great person, and very good sportsman,

[9:04:33 AM] DON CLOVIS: and after chat, talking, he brought me in Contact with another great man, in the sport, MICHAEL J JONES

[9:05:29 AM] DON CLOVIS: THEY WAS interesting to set up a new great MMA organisation named "EWFC " East West Fighting Championship

[9:05:48 AM] canadianprofighter: This is very true we have the best people in the world and most certainly the MOST passionate and educated MMA fans. Can you tell our viewers some of past accomplishments in MMA and Prizefighting promotion, like your involvement with K1?

[9:06:39 AM] DON CLOVIS: my first time in Japan, I was invited by a karate organisation named "DAIDO JUKU " from Mr. TAKESHI AZUMA...

[9:07:53 AM] DON CLOVIS: At that time, I was starting as Manager for BAS RUTTEN and SEMMY SHILT for Japan... I was before manager of Mr. ROB KAMAN, (CHAMP/LEGEND in Kickboxing,) and Ramon DEKKERS, another legend in Thai Boxing..

[9:08:15 AM] DON CLOVIS: SEMMY SCHILT his fight in karate rules, DAIDO JUKU...

[9:09:51 AM] DON CLOVIS: Than after few meetings, We left DAIDO JUKU, and I've been at first in contact with Mr. ISHII ...we discussed a few times in Tokyo and Osaka, and we signed a contract for 2 years for START the first event (who was named "K-2 GRAND PRIX

[9:10:24 AM] DON CLOVIS: "IT was on 19th, 12. 1993 the first event,,

[9:11:01 AM] DON CLOVIS: It was only 1 event as K-2, than we decide to start K-1, Mr. ISHII and I, founded the name K-1..

[9:11:30 AM] DON CLOVIS: BUT at the same time, I was also involved with free fight named "PANCRASE"in Japan..

[9:11:35 AM] canadianprofighter: What was your involvement with RINGS and Pancrase?

[9:11:45 AM] DON CLOVIS: there was my first experience in MMA

[9:12:52 AM] DON CLOVIS: BAS RUTTEN, SEMMY SCHILT, KEN and FRANK SHAMROCK, GUY MEZGER, MATT HUME, and also MAURICE SMITH WERE THE US and European stars

[9:13:06 AM] DON CLOVIS: but after few years BAS RUTTEN WAS NR 1 EVER

[9:13:21 AM] canadianprofighter: How do plan on using all this international experience to differentiate yourself from the other people in the Canadian MMA industry and what can we expect from you in the future?

[9:14:57 AM] DON CLOVIS: I have a lot of experience, a lots of connections worldwide, In entertainment business, so in Martial arts, (Thai and Kick Boxing,) But a lot in MMA...

[9:15:55 AM] DON CLOVIS: in "EWFC", I'm the European director, ( for European affairs), that mean that I will set up every European countries, a team of fighters..

[9:16:15 AM] DON CLOVIS: In Canada, I will be also involved with all Canadian and us team.

[9:17:33 AM] DON CLOVIS: because also great peoples are involved, as MAURICE SMITH, ALBERT MADY, JAMES LEE, But also mr MATT FLYNN, who was the founder of the "CAGE FIGHTING :"in USA..

[9:18:11 AM] canadianprofighter: It is clear that you are very well decorated and have a vast amount of experience and connection in the MMA world; we look forward to your involvement. With having managed so many important prizefighters and connections worldwide, are you still involved in fighter management?

[9:18:18 AM] DON CLOVIS: My plan is to growing in Canada with EWFC, and see possibilities, also with some others...

[9:19:33 AM] DON CLOVIS: yes, I still be manager for few great , good fighters in Europe, specially France , Holland, but will have also Germany, UK, Spain, Italy and Russia, But hope also do again in Japan

[9:19:50 AM] DON CLOVIS: but my first goal is to set up very well in Canada..

[9:20:19 AM] canadianprofighter: That is GREAT news for any Canadian fighters lucky enough to be signed by you.

[9:20:49 AM] DON CLOVIS: In Canada, I will also set up my company JOYTO FILMS LTD, because since few years I'm also in film industry, and I use great well-known name fighters in some of my action films

[9:21:06 AM] DON CLOVIS: so, the combination of Fighters, Music, in films is great

[9:21:15 AM] canadianprofighter: You have brought some of your clients into acting, what makes a good actor or stuntman? Can you tell us a little about your film career?

[9:22:01 AM] DON CLOVIS: yes, sure, i really hope that I/we can do exchange of fighters, USA/Canada/ Europe/Japan /Russia in future,

[9:23:28 AM] DON CLOVIS: UFC is also very hard busy now, to develop in Europe, ( just little bit and in Japan, ) I know.. But we are absolutely NOT under, not less, in fact fighters make the organisations as well, by the great performances in the rings. THEY make name and a good organisation

[9:24:25 AM] DON CLOVIS: about our film, see for example our Films in USA, "HONOR “with mu former Partner A.Birznek, ( also Canadian from Vancouver..

[9:25:00 AM] DON CLOVIS: Whern they ask me also to be involved, i got the choice of the fighters, and some cast in this martial arts film

[9:26:56 AM] canadianprofighter: What does it take to be a good actor or stuntman and why have you chosen mma fighters in the past?

[9:27:19 AM] DON CLOVIS: What I did, I thought to use great names, which will help to sale the films so I choose

[9:28:21 AM] DON CLOVIS: FUNAKI, fm Japan, to sale better in Japan, but also DON FRYE,( UFC) REMY BONJASKY ( K-1) RODDY PIPER, ( WRESTLING), 2 GRACIE'S ( bjj), ETC..ETC..

[9:29:02 AM] DON CLOVIS: It is difficult sometime for a fighter to be an Actor, but also for an actor to be a fighter in films

[9:29:45 AM] DON CLOVIS: BUT , for fighters in films, I use great fighters choreographs, and they learn the fighters to fight and act in films as well

[9:29:50 AM] canadianprofighter: That is awesome, I know of more than a few fighters who would like to work with you, let me know if you need anyone.

[9:30:11 AM] DON CLOVIS: for Stunts guys is different, bigger discipline, and need more experience

[9:30:47 AM] DON CLOVIS: ha-ha, Yes, I know, many fighters worldwide contacted me, But depends of few things..

[9:32:06 AM] DON CLOVIS: In films we use a lot of Kung fu style, because beautiful movements, and fighting style, for MMA and general martial arts, I mix the fight with KF and MMA, so you get different style of fight and great to see

[9:33:32 AM] DON CLOVIS: also depends also of the Investors and sponsors I get.. in this days, some private investors and private banks, they find out that invest in films is not dangerous, so risky than in real estates, obligations, CD , etc..Etc...

[9:33:50 AM] DON CLOVIS: in films in fact they get always money back, (generally, )

[9:34:37 AM] DON CLOVIS: and for their bank they get bigger audience who can see their names of screens, cinemas, TV, and films festival, so like free marketing

[9:34:48 AM] canadianprofighter: Sounds like you have some really good things happening for you there in Amsterdam!

[9:35:05 AM] DON CLOVIS: ha,ha, yes, true, and when you know that everything I do, I do all alone at the basic, nobody with me, for 30 years I develop all my ideas, creations i think at home, than I develop with others

[9:35:57 AM] canadianprofighter: Well Don, we are just about out of time I should be letting you go. thanks a lot for taking the time to go over some things with us. Do you have any closing remarks for our fans as well as yours?

[9:37:05 AM] DON CLOVIS: oh, ok, WATCH UP Canada, I come there soon, and hope to see you all in our first event of "EWFC" on June 5th in Edmonton, fighters can always contact me , also through EWFC or my websites http://www.donclovis.com/ and http://www.joytofilms.com/ , or through http://www.canadianprofighter.com/ of course!

1 comment: